Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Vale Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick 1950-2009

I heard today the very sad news that Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick died on 12 April, one of the pioneers of queer theory. As Duke University Press says

More than just a Duke author, Sedgwick helped to define the Press as we went through major editorial changes in the 1990s. In 1992, along with Michèle Aina Barale, Michael Moon, and Jonathan Goldberg, she founded the influential Series Q, helping to found the discipline of queer theory. Under her guidance, Duke Press has become a leader in that field; Series Q now includes 42 books.

Sedgwick was a very important theorist for my dissertation, especially her Epistemology of the Closet and Tendencies. The insights in both these books were an important guide for me navigating the many texts generated by Sodom and Gomorrah. I even suggested her as a possible examiner for my dissertation. I'm not certain if, in the end, she was approached or was unable but she was not to be one of my examiners. She was definitely a scholar I would have liked to have met. I suppose I have through her books and I plan to buy another when I get Mr Rudd's stimulus.

Vale Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick. Requiescat in Pacem. Eternal life grant unto her, Most High, and may perpetual light shine upon her. May she always shine in the perpetual light of your presence. May her name always be a blessing.

UPDATE Simon Scholfield has a page on Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick, which includes her birth chart, over at Astroqueer here.

No comments:

Post a Comment